Sebastian’s Birth March 6, 2012!!!

I realize I’m a year late. but I remember this day like it was yesterday…. Here it goes!!!!

Feb 28 rolls around and not only was I coming in for an ultrasound, and an apt with Dr.   Milan, I was also gonna see someone in regards to a delivery plan, AND I had to do a 3 hr glucose test (because my previous one was high) So Jan brought me to the hospital around 9 am and we got started on the blood work (in which I had been fasting for 8 hrs) meanwhile we went In for an ultrasound, the ultrasound tech didn’t wanna tell us anything and I didn’t push for it, she said the doctor would go over everything with me, she then checked my cervix, I told her I could not wait until talking to the doctor I needed to know the measurements of my cervix, I was SOCKED when she told me it was measuring .5 cm… in 2 weeks I went from 1.4 to .5 I couldn’t believe it, I also couldn’t believe that they let me go back downstairs to continue my lab work, meanwhile Jan and I went to the pharmacy to pickup my prescription. While at the pharmacy I rec’d a phone call from Dr. Milan saying she was looking for me and she really needed to talk to me. I knew it wasn’t good news; c’mon my cervix was measuring .5 (normal measurement is 3 cm)

I met up with Dr. Milan and she said she had to admit me to the hospital, I thought to myself “great here we go again” I was sad and crying at that time, I had only been home for 4 weeks and now I have to be in the hospital again, at this point I also knew it was bad with my cervix being THAT thin, it was now a matter of days… I got done with my glucose test which turned out negative (thank heaven at least one good news) and headed upstairs to labor and delivery, they admitted me and checked me out, at that point I was dilated to a 2 cm, I couldn’t believe that I was already dilating, I had 2 ½ months left of being pregnant, I couldn’t possibly be dilating already. They kept me on the monitor for a few hrs then they transferred me over to a different room and everything started all over again, the doctor decided that unless I felt different they were not gonna check me out again until 32 weeks (that meant I was FOR sure going to be in the hospital for 3 weeks) they also did a test to see what my chances were to deliver within 48 hrs, the test came back negative and Dr. Milan was pretty sure I would go at least until 32 weeks… this hospital stay was a lot different than the previous one, I was almost comfortable at this one, knowing what to expect (being woken up every few hrs to check baby’s heart beat and my blood pressure, having an IV, giving the baby steroids, giving me pills to stop contractions, etc… Dr. Milan also told us we could not go to the Temple to get sealed on March 15th, she said it was too dangerous for me to leave the hospital. With this visit there was no MRI’S. Chromosome test or as many stress tests, the days seemed to go by a lot slower… I was in the hospital for 7 days nothing happened, which was good, nothing was suppose to happen, I was just suppose to lay there for 3 weeks and hopefully go home after that and deliver my baby at 35-37 weeks (that was my plan, and I was ok with that, even though it meant crazy bed rest)

On March 6th at 1 am I noticed I was spotting, I was scared and called the nurse, she checked up on the baby and he was fine, the doctors weren’t too concerned about it, I woke up at 4 am and the spotting had turned to bleeding, I called the nurse again, they checked on the baby and he was ok, they checked to see if I was dilated any further, I was at a 4. At that point they wheeled me to labor and delivery, I was SO scared. I was put back on the monitors dr. Milan said that they would just monitor me and the baby and they would check my cervix every few hrs, within a few hrs I was at about 4 ½ and I was contracting, I could not eat anything, I was soo tired but unable to sleep, so uncomfortable with the monitors, and I once again had another IV in, which was by far the worse IV I have ever had, it didn’t make things any better that I had to pee every hr… Even though I had dilated a little further Dr. Milan still said it was possible I would stop contracting and dilating and we could have a few more days.

We were in labor for 12 hrs with nothing happening, besides the contractions which were coming every 4-7 min.. Finally around 5 pm I felt a huge gush down my legs, I freaked out and hoped it was my water that had broken, I did not want it to be blood (even thought it felt like blood) I told Lance about it he took a look and told me to stay calm and call the nurse, it was blood… The Dr. came in and checked my dilation, I was at a 7 and at that point there was nothing they could do (My body was changing to quickly and I guess that’s what was causing the bleeding) I was in active labor and the baby would come any minute.

It was then time for an epidural in which I was terrified about… all of the sudden there was probably 6 people in the room and then the epidural started, I was so scared, but next thing i know it was already over and it wasn’t even that terrible…

The doctor then said that within 30 min I would probably be pushing, I couldn’t believe everything that was happening, I was so over whelmed and I had a major breakdown, I just laid there my entire body shaking, just in shock not believing what was happening… I was about to have my baby, 30 weeks along, with all the challenges he would already be facing he is now going to be 10 weeks premature… What is he gonna look like, is he gonna be ok, is he gonna be breathing, what kind of help is he going to need, how is him being premature going to affect his other conditions, how long will he be in the hospital, my mind was going a million miles an hr…

It was almost 3 hrs later before I was dilated to a 10 and they wanted me to start pushing. I didn’t even have to push for 15 min, next thing I know Lance is cutting the umbilical cord and they were transferring my baby through a window, straight to the NICU.

All I had was a quick glance at my baby, and thankfully my sister was able to take a good enough picture that we could look at, that’s all we had… a picture to stare at…. It was almost 3 hrs before we were able to officially meet our baby

At 9:07 pm on March 6, 2012 a beautiful baby boy was born, 3 pounds 4 ounces, 16 ½ inches long. 

It was SO bitter sweet seeing that tiny precious baby boy, he was SOO cute, he had curly looking black hair and he was absolutely perfect, however all the tubes and cords all over his body just absolutely killed me, it was so sad to know I couldn’t hold my little guy, I couldn’t take him home, and I could no longer protect him inside of me, I felt helpless… I didn’t know why he had all these tubes and wires all over his body, everything was SO overwhelming, I didn’t know how to feel… we were able to give our precious baby a little kiss and that was SO good to feel his skin/hair 

Sebastian was in the NICU for 3 months and 2 weeks…. there were so many days I was convinced he would never leave, so many ups and downs, it didn’t help that we lived an hr away from the hospital. 

As of today Sebastian has not yet been diagnosed with anything, the genetic doctors have a couple of ideas in which we will soon test him for. 

And though he has been through many surgeries, and endless doctor visits, he has already beat a lot of the odds, and he is a very happy 1 year old baby.

Sebastian inst walking yet, he’s not even crawling, and when it comes to sitting he still needs some support, he’s not as strong and as firm as your typical 1 year old. but he is always learning something new, he’s always developing and making progress. He waves bye bye, he says mamma and dadda, he’s finally eating baby food, just the fact that he eats by mouth is a MAJOR miracle, he’s 18 1/2 pounds and is 30 inches tall.

Sebastian is a miracle baby. I could never imagine my life without him. I never in a million years thought someone could learn SO much from a baby, in such a short period of time. I will NEVER take the little things for granted, we are SO lucky to have Sebastian. And even though things might sound bad, and a lot of times hard (and don’t get me wrong, its NOT always easy, I have my days of major sadness and tears and all I can do is pray that eventually he will be like all the other normal kids) there are people out there who has it SO much worse, if anything Lance and I have it so easy, and we are SO blessed and so lucky!!!





Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s